Jenel Lausa aspires to become an inspiration thru his MMA rise

FOR someone then fighting for the first time outside of the Philippines and making his UFC debut, Jenel “The Demolition Man” Lausa was a picture of a fighter who was simply ready to rise to the occasion. If he had any form of nerves, it didn’t show at all. Using his superior striking game, he dominated Yao Zhikui and earned the unanimous decision win in their flyweight showdown at UFC Fight Night: Whittaker vs Brunson in Melbourne, Australia, back in November.

Jenel "The Demolition Man" Lausa
Jenel “The Demolition Man” Lausa

Lausa notched his first win inside The Octagon and now rides a 5-fight winning streak in professional mixed martial arts (MMA). It also bookended a good year for Lausa in the world of combat sports. He won a regional MMA title earlier this year and a Philippine boxing title prior to his UFC call up. After his successful debut in the world’s premiere MMA organization, Lausa says, he wants to make the most out of the opportunity.

It has been a huge dream to get into the UFC and as he continues to fight, he hopes to be an inspiration to others-especially those from his hometown of Concepcion, Iloilo.

Lausa narrates that people from his hometown aren’t strangers to the concept of fighting — it’s what they do every day to make ends meet — something he himself lived through.MORE

Fil-Am beauty, a wushu champ

FILIPINO-American Nhaya Mahal Paden was introduced to martial arts in the United States of America at age 11, giving her a strong foundation to excel in combat sports.

Paden, a 14-year-old member of King’s Sword Martial Arts under the supervision of Nell Jone Astudillo, recently won a gold medal in girls 52 kilogram category of the recent Batang Pinoy 2016 National Championships in Pasig City.

wushu_paden_0

Because of the exceptional effort she showed during the recent nationals, the Fil-Am wushu athlete was invited for a three-month trial training with the Wushu Federation of the Philippines National Team.

“I will continue my training, and hopefully compete in next year’s Batang Pinoy,” Paden said in a Facebook chat with SunStar Davao.

Paden added that she will fly to Manila for the training next summer but she wishes to finish High School first so she could focus on her training.

Paden is on her 9th Grade at the Faith International Academy in Davao.

She was born at the Cocoa Beach in Florida, USA, but her family has been coming back to the Philippines as her parents Gilmer and Julie Paden are both missionaries.

Her father Gilmer, a Filipino, is working at the Christ Fellowship Church as a missions and evangelism pastor.MORE

Angara hopes Aquino will include sports development policy in Sona

SENATOR Juan Edgardo Angara expressed hope on Friday that President Benigno Aquino III will include sports development in his last State of the Nation Address (Sona) on July 27.

Angara, chairman of Senate committee on games, amusement and sports, said that the promotion of exercise and an active lifestyle should be part of the country’s health program. (Read more)

Bayan Basketball Club hosts 26th NABA tournament

By Romy Zetazate and Manny Papa

THE 26th Annual Inter-City NABA’s basketball tournament is slated at the Ray Twinney Recreational Complex in Newmarket, Ontario, and in some other Catholic and High School Gyms around the York Region, specifically in Newmarket, Aurora, King City, and Richmond Hill.

The three-day event will be held commencing Friday, August 30, when it holds its opening ceremonies. Actual basketball game competitions will be held starting Saturday, August 31, through Sunday, September 1.

The tournament is one of the biggest basketball tournaments for Filipinos of Filipino descent in North America. There will be about 22 cities participating from the United States, Canada, United Kingdom and Europe.

About 155 basketball teams have confirmed their participation.

The basketball divisions include Tykes, Peewee, Bantam, Damsel, Girls, Ladies, Junior, Juvenile, Open, Senior and Masters.

The host club, Bayan Basketball Club, is inviting all basketball aficionados in Canada to watch and enjoy the games, and at the same time welcome visiting teams of all ages and nationalities in the different locations in Newmarket, Ontario.

Bayan Basketball Club is also looking for volunteers and coaches who will assist the different teams during the scheduled basketball games.

In addition to basketball games, volleyball games will be conducted in the sports tournament.

The sports tournament organizers are also calling on all volleyball teams not only in Canada but also in other parts of the world to participate in this big event.

For more information, please get in touch with Alex A. Dooc, at telephone numbers: (647) 203 – 1260 (landline) or (647) 203 – 1260 (mobile), or by email at bayan1260@live.ca. (St. Jamestown News Service)

Fajardo returns to Cebu in Sinulog Cup

CEBUANO giant Junemar Fajardo is expected to have extra minutes when Petron Blaze Boosters visit Cebu for the PBA 2013 Sinulog Cup Basketball tournament on Jan. 31 to Feb. 2 at the Cebu Coliseum.

Fajardo, who anchored the University of Cebu Webmasters on its two Cebu Schools Athletic Foundation Inc. (Cesafi) titles before he was picked as No.1 overall draft by Petron during the 2012 rookie draft, is expected to play alongside NBA-experienced player Renaldo Balkman as the Boosters try to gel in time for the PBA Commissioner’s Cup, which will start on Feb. 8. Read the rest of this entry

Alaska’s import to arrive in time for Sinulog Cup

ALASKA Aces head coach Luigi Trillo is expecting his Commissioner’s Cup reinforcement Robert Dozier to arrive in the country next week in time for the Sinulog Cup Basketball tournament, which will be on Jan. 31-Feb. 2 at the Cebu Coliseum.

According to Trillo, the 6’9” Dozier, who was picked by Miami Heat as its second round draft choice in 2009, had passport problems that prevented him to fly to Manila this week. Read the rest of this entry

Kenyans rule 2013 Cebu Marathon

TO SAY that the Kenyans dominated the 2013 Cebu Marathon is an understatement as they wiped out the locals in the 42-kilometer (42K) and 21K event.

Cebu’s hope for a title, Mary Grace delos Santos, gave up her crown in the women’s 21K, but to a worthy opponent yesterday at the Cebu IT Park.

“She is really fast,” said delos Santos after learning of 21K winner Jackline Nzivo’s time of 1:18:28 minutes. Delos Santos, who was still on a recovery run after her grueling Milo Marathon last month, came in second but improved her time. [Read more]

 

Sinulog beach volley moved

THOUGH they are facing a problem with the completion of the Fort San Pedro sand court, the Sinulog beach volleyball open will push through next month.

The tournament is one way of showcasing the beach sand court of Cebu and put Cebu in the map as a potential venue to host international beach tournaments. Read the rest of this entry