EVEN before he can assume office on July 1, Cebu City’s south district congressman-elect Rodrigo “Bebot” Abellanosa is facing a disqualification case before the Commission on Elections (Comelec).
He is accused of unlawful electioneering, vote buying and illegal use of publication or survey. Read the rest of this entry
STEPHEN Paduano a.k.a. Carapali Lualhati, the No. 1 nominee of Abang Lingkod, is still hoping for a favorable decision of the Supreme Court for the party’s inclusion among the party-lists in the May 13 elections.
“The people have spoken. They have voted for us. It’s not about Abang Lingkod or Carapali Lualhati. It’s about the people who voted for us,” said Lualhati in reaction to the decision of the Comelec en banc. Read the rest of this entry
THE Alliance for Nationalism and Democracy (Anad) yesterday urged their followers and leaders to continue supporting them after it was found out there was no order from the Commission on Elections (Comelec) disqualifying the partylist group.
Balter Balangawan, the number two nominee of Anad, said reports quoting Comelec Chairman Sixto Brillantes about the group’s disqualification and the alleged failure to submit their statement of expenditures in the 2007 polls were a black propaganda meant to discourage the people from voting the Cebu-based partylist. Read the rest of this entry
THE Commission on Elections (Comelec) First Division dismissed the electoral protest filed by former Silay City mayor Carlo Gamban against Mayor Jose Montelibano.
The order, dated January 28, 2013, was signed by presiding commissioner Rene Sarmiento and commissioners Armando Velasco and Christian Robert Lim. Read the rest of this entry
THE Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Sunday called on the Supreme Court to finally decide on the petitions of disqualified party-list groups given the poll body’s tight schedule in preparation for the May 13 elections.
“If they decide on it already, we will not be second-guessing anymore if they should be included in our preparations or not, especially in the printing of ballots,” said Comelec Commissioner Rene Sarmiento. Read the rest of this entry
Four party-list groups, which have been initially disqualified from participating in the 2013 midterm elections, found relief from the Supreme Court after the justices stopped the Commission on Elections (Comelec) from enforcing its ruling.
Sources said that the High Court, at the resumption of their regular session following a two-week Halloween break, has granted the separate petitions from the party-list groups seeking the issuance of either a temporary restraining order (TRO) or a status quo ante order (SQA) assailing the Comelec’s October 10, 2012 resolution. Read the rest of this entry
Actor-turned-politician Aga Muhlach asked Monday the Commission on Elections (Comelec) to dismiss for lack of merit the disqualification case filed against him on allegations that he is not a natural-born Filipino citizen.
Muhlach, who is running for the fourth congressional district of Camarines Sur in the May 2013 elections, was accused of a certain Gilmar Pacamarra of being a dual citizen, on account of his father, who had been given recognition by the Spanish government of being its citizen. The disqualification case was filed three weeks ago. Read the rest of this entry