325 dead, 379 missing due to ‘Pablo’ – NDRRMC

Manila (9:36 a.m.)– Tropical Storm “Pablo” (international codename: Bopha) has left at least 325 dead and hundreds more injured and missing as it slowly exits the country, the state disaster agency said Thursday morning.

In the Davao region alone, at least 298 fatalities were recorded, mostly from the provinces of Davao Oriental and Compostela Valley where flash flood and mudslide incidents were reported, according to the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC).(READ MORE)

Editorial: Pablo in Mindanao

STORMS, especially one as strong as Pablo, do not often pass Mindanao. The path of such disturbances has always been parts of Visayas and Luzon. But two devastating typhoons have already hit Mindanao in two years, each of them in December, propping up claims on the weather’s erratic ways attributed to climate change.

In mid-December last year, typhoon Sendong wreaked havoc on parts of Mindanao, killing more than a thousand people with damage estimated at more than P1 billion. Pablo ravaged Mindanao early December this year.(READ MORE)

Storm Pablo and being a buffoon

THE feeling is not unlike that of someone surviving a shipwreck that killed all his co-passengers. There is a sense of relief that we have been spared from the wrath that typhoon Pablo unleashed but we can’t celebrate, knowing that there are many others who are not as fortunate.

As reports trickle in from the areas that Pablo struck the hardest, a familiar pattern is beginning to emerge, one replete with tales of woe and anguish. When the President said that the then approaching typhoon was no joke, little must he have known that he was going to be confronted once again with scenes of bodies buried in muddy graveyards, made so by soil loosened by rains that the State’s weather bureau had predicted to be heavy and intense.(READ MORE)

Facebook in the time of Pablo

FILIPINOS watched out for Pablo on Facebook. With the time they spent on FB, you’d think Pablo was going to announce his arrival anytime via check-in.

You didn’t have to listen to the radio or watch news updates on TV. You only had to be logged on to FB to know Pablo’s itinerary and how people in Cebu, Dumaguete, Bohol, Davao and Cagayan de Oro were both preparing for his arrival and praying for his non-arrival. (READ MORE)

 

Aquino to visit communities hit by ‘Pablo’

MANILA — President Benigno Aquino III said Wednesday that he will visit communities in the Visayas and Mindanao ravaged by Typhoon “Pablo” (international codename: Bopha).

In an interview during the League of Municipalities General Assembly at the Manila Hotel, the President said his team is arranging his trips to Compostela Valley and Davao Oriental, two of the provinces badly hit by the powerful typhoon. Read more

‘Pablo’ kills nearly 100

MANILA (Updated 3:26 p.m.) – Typhoon “Pablo” (international name: Bopha) has killed nearly 100 people and left dozens more missing, the National Disaster Risk Reduction and Management Council (NDRRMC) said Wednesday afternoon.

In its official and latest data, the agency confirmed that 95 people were reported dead while 61 others were injured. Of the total number of fatalities, only 18 have been identified.(READ MORE)

‘Pascua na Zamboanga’ kicks-off

THE annual Christmas festivity in Zamboanga City dubbed as “Pascua na Zamboanga” formally kicked off Monday night with a lantern parade at Plaza Pershing.

Mayor Celso Lobregat and Vice Mayor Cesar Iturralde led the over 2,000 officials and employees of the City Government in the lantern parade and the succeeding program at the Plaza Pershing that was capped by a spectacular fireworks display. [Read more]